Father David Wright became the first Priest-in -Charge in December of 1979, serving faithfully for six years. As a mission church we have had several supply priests and interim clergy before the Rev. Chuck Smithers accepted the call as St. Matthew's first full-time priest in May, 1997.
From small gatherings at the Community House and Paddison library, the church grew and found a need for a permanent worship space. As a result of the combined efforts of St. Matthew's, St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem, and the Diocese of North Carolina, the land at 1110 Salisbury St. was acquired and the present multi-purpose was constructed and opened in late 1983. The mortgage was burned in October 1993 during dedication of the outdoor chapel. Future plans for the 7.3 acre site include construction of a sanctuary, Christian education structure, and bell tower as the area developed on a campus type plan.